Hair Extension Maintenance 101: Everything You Need To Know About Maintaining Hair Extensions
Updated: Sep 5
Do you have beautiful hair extensions installed at your Sudbury hair salon but don’t know how to maintain them? You probably have beautiful, voluminous hair. But now with great length and volume comes great responsibility - that is, to properly care for your hair extensions so they last as long as possible. Find out in this article from your expert Sudbury hair stylists at RondezVous Colour Lounge how to maintain your beautiful locks at home with our easy-to-follow tips!
Introduction to Hair Extensions
Hair extensions are a popular way to add length and volume to your hair. But like your own natural hair, they require some special care and attention to ensure they look their best. Let’s start by understanding the different types of hair extensions that you might consider.
Types of Hair Extensions
Hair extensions can be made from a variety of natural and synthetic materials. The most common types of hair extensions are:
1. Clip-in hair extensions: These are the most popular types of hair extensions. They are easy to put in and take out, and they don't require any special tools or equipment. Clip-in hair extensions can be made from both real human hair and synthetic fibers.
2. Tape-in hair extensions: Tape-in hair extensions are a newer type of extension that is becoming increasingly popular. They are applied using double-sided tape, and they can last for several weeks at a time. Tape-in extensions can be made from both real human hair and synthetic fibers.
3. Weave hair extensions: Weave hair extensions are sewn into your natural hair, making them a more permanent option. They can last for several weeks or even months at a time, but they require more care and maintenance than other types of extensions. Weave extensions can be made from both real human hair and synthetic fibers.
What Products Work Best to Maintain Hair Extensions?
When it comes to hair extensions, there are a few key products that can help keep them looking their best. A good quality shampoo and conditioner are a must to keep your Sudbury hair extensions clean and healthy. A leave-in conditioner can also be helpful to keep your hair hydrated and protected from heat styling damage.
For daily maintenance, a detangling brush or comb can help you avoid tangles and matting. A wide-tooth comb is best for wet hair, while a paddle brush is better for dry hair. A lightweight serum or oil can also be used to help tame flyaways and add shine.
When it comes time to wash your extensions, always use a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. Avoid hot water, which can dry out the hair, and be sure to rinse thoroughly. After washing your hair extensions, gently squeeze out excess water before lightly towel-drying them. Avoid rubbing or wringing them out, as this can damage the strands. Again, be extra careful around the bonds or points of attachment.
For styling, it’s best to use products that are specifically designed for use with hair extensions. These products will help protect your hair from heat damage and make it easier to style without damaging the bonds of your extensions.
At RondezVous Color Lounge, we use the best professional products in the industry to ensure our guests have the highest quality products to maintain their hair. Ask your favorite Sudbury hairstylist for a personalized product recommendation next time you are in our salon!
How to Maintain and Style Hair Extensions
If you're lucky enough to have been blessed with long, luscious locks, then you know the importance of proper hair extension maintenance. Not only do you have to worry about your own hair care routine, but you also have to be careful about how you style and care for your Sudbury hair extensions.
Here are a few tips on how to style hair extensions:
1. Keep your scalp and hair extensions clean by shampooing and conditioning regularly. Be sure to use a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to avoid damaging your hair.
2. Brush your hair daily with a soft bristled brush to prevent tangles and matting. Always use a wide-toothed comb or a paddle brush when brushing or combing your hair extensions. Avoid using fine-toothed combs as they can snag and damage the hair.
3. When you brush your hair, start from the bottom and work your way up. This will prevent your extensions from getting tangled. Be extra gentle around the bonds or points of attachment when brushing or combing through your hair. Your extensions are delicate and can easily get damaged if they're not handled with care.
4. Avoid using heat styling tools too often as this can damage both your natural hair and your extensions. If you must use heat, make sure to use a heat protectant spray beforehand.
5. Tie your hair up in a loose ponytail or braid before going to bed to prevent tangles and matting while you sleep. You may also want to invest in a satin pillowcase, which is gentler on both your natural hair and your extensions than a cotton one.
6. When not in use, store your hair extensions in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. This will help prevent them from drying out or becoming damaged.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hair Extension Maintenance
If you're considering hair extensions, or have already taken the plunge, you may be wondering how to best care for your new locks. Luckily, with a little bit of know-how and the right products, maintaining beautiful hair extensions at home is easier than you might think! Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about hair extension maintenance:
How often should I wash my hair extensions?
While it's important to keep your scalp and hair clean, over-washing can strip natural oils and lead to dryness, breakage, and tangling. For this reason, we recommend washing your hair extensions every 2-3 days using a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo.
Can I use conditioner on my hair extensions?
Yes! In fact, we recommend using a leave-in conditioner or mask once or twice a week to help keep your hair extensions hydrated and looking their best. Just be sure to avoid any products that contain alcohol, as this can dry out the hair.
How do I style my hair extensions?
You can style your hair extensions just like you would your natural hair! Be sure to use heat protectant products before applying heat styling tools, and take extra care not to overdo it – too much heat can damage the hair. When brushing, always start from the bottom and work your way up to avoid tangles.
Do you have more questions about hair maintenance in general? Check out our article with the top 10 hair questions answered by our team of Sudbury hair stylist experts! https://www.rondezvous.ca/post/your-top-10-hair-questions-answered
Hair extensions can be a great way to add length, volume and texture to your own hair. With proper care and maintenance, you can keep them looking beautiful for many months. Remember that quality is key when it comes to hair extensions - always invest in good quality products so that they last longer and continue looking their best. We have a wide selection of hair care products available in our Sudbury hair salon that can help you meet your hair goals. Don’t be shy to ask questions and get a personalized recommendation from one of our hair stylists! Following the tips mentioned above will help ensure that you get the most out of your investment in beautiful hair extensions!
You can visit our home page to see all our Sudbury hair services and price ranges here: https://www.rondezvous.ca/
Please don’t hesitate to call us, come see us at the salon, or reach out to us on social media @rondezvoussalon and ask us anything! We are your Sudbury hair salon and beauty experts and it is a real pleasure for us to help you achieve your hair goals.